Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Does Adobe even use FLEX?

So I decided to be brave and ask the online Adobe community if Adobe even uses FLEX on their own website.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3254067#3254067

**NOTE: I say it was brave because of the amount of animosity lurking over in the Adobe online forum community. Be sure to NEVER mention HTML5 or the impending doom of FLEX, in regards to HTML5. No matter whom you ask, you will get a biased answer and then be quickly told to shut up. I find HTML5 to be fascinating and it could shift the world of the internet into a different direction. Neither Microsoft nor Adobe folks seem to agree with what is going to happen there. So, just a word to the wise, dont mention it unless you're ready to have tomatoes thrown at you.

This question came about because of our frustration with Adobe's website, for various reasons. The main reason being that we had a hard time finding the version of FlashBuilder 4 to purchase a new license for. There are two different packages and my manager had a hard time navigating to it.

Jokingly, I pointed out that Adobe does not even have any FLASH or FLEX technology happening in their own website. That's a little concerning, since Adobe really pushes this stuff as being so great and wonderful.

So I asked the question on the Adobe FLEX forum and here was a response I received from an Adobe employee:

"Pretty sure the online apps on photoshop.com are Flex apps. Also acrobat.com.

And there are tons of intranet apps in Adobe which is the sweet spot for Flex."


Last time I checked, photoshop.com and acrobat.com arent Adobe.com. I am sure there are "tons of intranet apps using FLEX" (as if we can validate that?) and I am sure there are tons of other great mysterious things happening inside Adobe headquarter doors we wont ever see. That doesn't really answer my original question though..."Does Adobe even use FLEX?".

Apparently, yes they do. Just not in public.

1 comment:

RichieUpAndOver said...

Funny enough, yesterday, I was asked to participate in an "anonymous" online survey, regarding the Adobe.com website. I did participate and even allowed them to ask further questions. I am sure the survey linked to my Adobe developer account, so I expect to receive future questions in regards to Adobe's website. The entire survey seemed like they were just "phishing" for support to re-build their website.

I do expect them to re-develop it, because, the survey was leaning in that direction!

We will see what happens. I wouldnt mind if it was easier to navigate, search and find FLEX 4 info vs FLEX 3. There is little to no FLEX 4 documentation, and FLEX 4.5/HERO just became available in BETA.