Tuesday, May 26, 2009

SQL SSIS RetainSameConnection property

I have not posted any blog entries in quite some time. obvious. I am currently knee deep in the trenches of SSIS and have found a few quirks that I would like to note in my next few entries. Today's SSIS quirk is [RetainSameConnection] property. I discovered this little gem when I was trying to add data flow tasks to an existing SSIS package. The package worked for the first data flow task, but was un-successful in the 2nd data flow task. Both tasks access the same servers, same databases, just different tables. Why would one work, but the other NOT work? It was quite obvious it was the [RetainSameConnection] property on your DATA CONNECTION OBJECT, right? No, actually it was not quite obvious. One would think that SSIS would be user-friendly enough to re-use your connection for you. Apparently not. I can see and understand WHY, but I just found it interesting and noteworthy. I promise I will have more SSIS quirks just as silly as this in the future. Stay tuned and hang on to your seats!!

No comments: