Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Bible - HTML Template



"The book you need to succeed!!"

Today at work we had some discussion about scaling, scale mode and resizing FLEX applications in a browser. There are known bugs in this area, and browser compatibility issues. My coworker suggested I read the Adobe Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Bible, by David Gassner. Luckily I already had a .PDF copy and was able to bring it up on my computer screen, rather than thumb through a very large, 1000+ page book.

The section I covered was in Chapter 3: Building a Basic Flex Application. There is some good overview of the "html-template" folder and the html file that wraps the Flash Player/SWF file. It is within the html-template file that you can adjust the resizing/scale mode to handle different types of FlashPlayer sizing.

There is a bunch of Javascript in the html file that handles the FlashPlayer parameters, attributes and settings.

Also, within this html file and Javascript fun, you can set the "allowScriptAccess" property to be set to "never, always or sameDomain", to control outbound scripting capabilities from within Flash Player.

The Flashbuilder/FLEX 4 Bible book is a good start for any FLEX beginner. It is not my favorite FLEX book, but it has some good introduction to all areas of development in the FLEX realm. The big downside to this book is that it assumes you use BlazeDS, ColdFusion or Adobe specific server technologies. Since my entire backend is written in .NET, this book doesn't help me in the data access area.

No comments: