Monday, October 18, 2010

Another month of FLEX

So here I sit, getting ready for the next FLEX User group meeting (in 2-3 days). I've come quite a ways from where I first started. I feel I have accomplished something significant in the realm of Adobe FLEX. The application I am building is still in beta mode but is finally being demo'ed to end users, who happen to be commercial property building managers. (Guys that have large buildings, and many thermostats involved in cooling them.). Anyways, we recently ditched the GraphicalGraphite theme (which was really cool at first) and we have created our own theme, based on the corporate logo colors here at my job. My co-worker did a lot of work re-working the CSS so that our application is not black and gloomy, lookin' like DOOM 3 anymore. It looks really sweet and "sexy" and finally looks presentable. What a nightmare it was to get it in that state though!

I have learned a few things about FLEX. Like ArrayCollection has a good remove function but Array objects only have the "splice" function which I could never get to work correctly. Also, there is an ObjectUtil function for dateCompare, which I did not know existed when I wrote my own date comparison function from scratch.

I guess much of the Adobe documentation is sparse and hard to read. For some reason, it is embedded in a bunch of iList controls and is near impossible to navigate or view. I really wish they had a PDF file I could download, does anybody know of one?

We are currently getting ready to deliver our app, and "sprint" to the next release within the next few weeks. I'll keep yall updated in my next post!

No comments: